Sunday, August 23, 2015

Adieu, Summer

I am done.

I am done preparing 2.5 meals a day.

I am done making the laundry rounds.

I am done shopping leisurely on a Tuesday morning.

Done making a phone call when I feel like it.

Done sleeping past five.

Come tomorrow, I will rise earlier than I remember ever rising, crawl into the shower and wish for a mainline of caffeine. I will greet colleagues and readjust my mind to this noblest of professions, educating the citizens of tomorrow.

Come Wednesday, I will activate all the lessons and the classroom work I've done over the past weeks as I welcome a new crop of students and embark upon all the teaching I'm excited to do this year. I will begin club activities, participate in my teacher association, run department meetings. I will plan my days in fifteen-minute blocks and rush from moment to bursting moment.

Gone are the hazy afternoons with my dogs and gone are late-night movies with my kids. Gone are lazy coffee mornings and gone are trips to the hot springs with my mom.

And I could not be happier to say goodbye to summer, and hello to my calling.
Renewed.

Ready to return!

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you and the students a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to a great year of global teaching and learning! I wish you and your students all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Just beautiful! Thank you for taking on such a noble profession and I feel so lucky being able to to learn from and with you! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog posted here. One can also get the details of gate study materials only at Onlineicegate Institute.

    ReplyDelete